Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Surgery #2 Scheduled

Reed and I went to the doctor today to see how the effective the patch has been. Apparently there wasn't significant enough change and the surgery still stands. It is scheduled for the 30th (next Friday) and we'll know what time when the nurse calls the day before. This will just be on the left eye, not both like last time. Prayers, as always, are appreciated.

I asked the doctor for some more clarification on what exactly is wrong with Reed's eyes. When we first found out about his condition (strabismus) we learned that at any given moment one of Reed's eyes was essentially turned off. I asked the doctor today if this was still the case--if the left eye was turned off most of the time--and she said yes, his eyes do not work together. As adults when our eyes cross we see double, a baby's brain says "I don't want to see double, this doesn't work" so it just shuts the eye off. I told her that it just amazes me how well Reed functions taking that into consideration. To see him move, feed himself, follow the spoon to his mouth, "cruise" down the furniture, you would never suspect that he's operating with just one functioning eye. I guess he doesn't really know any better since this is what it's been like for him since the beginning, but I'm just amazed. I mean, he's so close to walking that I wonder if this vision deficit is what's holding him back. After I voiced all of this the doctor just said that children are amazing, they are so resilient and adapt so quickly--much better than adults. She agreed how impressive Reed's development is given his vision problems and then said, "Imagine what it will be like when this is all over and he can use his eyes like he's supposed to."

That statement was just a reminder for me that Dane and I are doing the right thing. This might take a toll on us emotionally and financially, but this is what's best for Reed. And thank God that it was diagnosed so early that Reed will never even remember this and can go on to reach the rest of his milestones with eyes working together!

Crazy man after the first surgery

The other day I was at Target walking in behind a mom, dad and little boy about 3 years old. The little boy had a completely shaved head with a scar from ear to ear and he wore a backpack. As I got on the escalator behind them I noticed that coming out of his backpack were a few tubes that wrapped around and connected to something on the front of his body. Of course I was wondering what was wrong with this cute little boy--cancer? brain tumor?--and was reminded that although surgery is scary, and I hate that Reed has to go through that, things could be much worse.

We are richly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment